Sunday, October 13, 2013

There is a Leader in All of Us.......

Hello all,

I hope that for a second week in a row, the government shutdown isn't affecting you to bad. If our leaders would just come to a consensus, this could all be over and done with it. Anyways, over the past nine weeks, I have had the privilege of learning all about leadership and have gained a lot of insight on the topic. Now, by no means, am I professing or claiming that I am an expert on the matter, but I have acquired a great deal of knowledge on the subject and can tie into situations that occur in my life.  For this last blog, I will focus on the “leader in you” based on my newly acquired knowledge on the matter.

What is a Leader?
When I think of a leader, I think of someone that is motivational, inspiring, and who’s in charge, but a leader is so much more than this.  A leader is an individual who delegates responsibility, can assess the strengths and weaknesses of others (subordinates), guide others, rewards employees in times of success and displays personal accountability in times of loss.  A leader is not afraid to push the envelope and defy the normal standards and redefine the structure of organizations. Hmm, sounds a tad bit like a rebellious teenager, lol! Yet, not quite exactly. 
Leaders are transformational beings, servants of the people, authentic, and in recent times women.  The role of leader has always been associated with the male gender, but women are leaders too.  Look at who are holding the positions of school teacher, school principal, senator, city council member, judge and even police chief.  Women are acquiring these once male dominated positions and though they may meet a little adversity along the way, they are well-respected in these roles. Yet, being a leader does not begin or stop here.

The Birth of Being a Leader
I firmly believe that within each and every one of us are a few teaspoons of leader. I believe that we are all born with the innate traits of leadership.  It is in our upbringing and schooling that we emerge as leaders. This is where the “natural leader” comes from.  However, not all of us are lucky to emerge naturally into the role of leader; it takes a bit of time and formal training.  It’s kind of like Robert Frost’s, The Road Not Taken, some of us prefer to just not take the leadership route, and that’s the better road to travel.   For those that do travel down the leadership path, it’s from that first risk that their lives as a leader evolve. Although I’m not an assigned leader, I think that over the years I have emerged as a leader.

The Leader in Me

 As aforementioned, we all have some leader in us. It is those few teaspoons that equip us with the armor needed to be a leader.  For me, being a leader is not about a title or label, it’s about being me.  Being a leader is striving to have an impact and making a difference in the lives of others.  Growing up as one of five kids, it’s always been about what makes you different from your siblings. Since as far back as I can remember, I have always had a drive and passion for reading, writing and helping others. Today, at 27 years of age, I still have that passion, with more emphasis on the last one. 
I have always had a fire about me and in everything that I do. I cannot count the number of times that I served as class secretary or vice president over the years.  Also, throughout middle and high school I was a student ambassador for my schools.  In high school, this position led to me having the opportunity to visit and serve as a representative for my high school at the University of Notre Dame for a week my sophomore and junior years.  
Senator Linda Coleman (AL)District 20
http://senatorlindacoleman.com/
 

My senior year of high school, my class voted me to give the introductory speech for the guest speaker, Sen. Linda Coleman (AL), at our graduation. It was their belief and faith in me to handle such an important task, which equipped me with the ability to eloquently do so.  My tenacity and passion for helping others followed me to college, where I served as once again an ambassador for the school, to recruit minority students and promote diversity.  During my undergraduate years at the University of Alabama, I served as a member of a group called Women in Leading and Learning and as a resident assistant (RA) for a short while.  Looking back on those roles now, I can see that I was a leader, whereas back then it only seemed like I was a member in those organizations. From studying and reading about leadership over these last few weeks, I can now point out and assess the leadership traits and styles I exuded while involved in these organizations. 
Presently, my leadership roles may seem slightly bleak in comparison to my undergraduate years, but I think they are just slightly different leadership roles.  I currently serve as teacher of the praise team ministry at my church. This position entails me working one-two times a week with our young girls and teaching them liturgical dance. They range in age from 4-14 and can be quite rambunctious at times. Yet, it’s a job and I love teaching them. To my family, I am the first of my four siblings to earn a Bachelor’s Degree and in December, I will be the first to attain a Master’s Degree.  In the eyes of my family, I have defied the odds and set a new precedence. To me, I’m just being me.  At my part time job, I am an inspiration to the other associates that there is nothing one cannot do if they put their mind to it.  This is my second family, they have been in my corner since day one that I started grad school and always call, text or email me to ask me how school is going and to offer a few encouraging words.  I have evolved as an individual and as a leader throughout this MPA program, unbeknownst to myself.  It is in the words and actions of those around me that validates this.  As I continue on this journey and complete it in exactly two months, I will continue to evolve as a leader and will take with me all the discussions and knowledge that I have gained along the way from Dr. E’s Leadership class.







No comments:

Post a Comment